internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] OT: In Florida, shoot first, ask questions later

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] OT: In Florida, shoot first, ask questions later
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:38:08 -0400

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
> On Apr 26, 2005, at 12:04 PM, Shea Tisdale wrote:
>
> > As I'm sure others will point out, the only change here is removed
> > your duty
> > to retreat when you feel you are in imminent danger of death or great
> > bodily
> > harm from an assailant.
>
> The problem with saying that a person doesn't have a responsibility to
> avoid a conflict is that it will lead to increased wrongful deaths.
>
> > I gather from your subject line, the hyperbole and the tell-tale
> > omission of
> > facts that you aren't a gun rights supporter.
>
> I'm a person who has had loaded, safety off, weapons pointed at me, and
> weapons fired at my house. On purpose. By gun rights supporters.

Well, just remember under your theory, you must retreat, even if that means
leaving your house and property - even if it means leaving your family. And
you must continue to retreat so long as there is a means to do so. Even if
you are pursued by the assailant so long as there is any means possible for
you to retreat that is your obligation.

> Call me crazy, but I don't think much of "gun rights". There's a
> reason people aren't allowed to own weapons like rocket propelled
> grenades or machine guns or tanks...

As with most people opposed to gun rights you don't even know the law as it
currently stands. People are allowed to own fully automatic firearms - or
as you called them "machine guns" as per The National Firearms Act (26 USC
sec. 5801 et seq.) which is Title 2 of the 1968 Gun Control Act.

, and that is because there's some
> weapons that are so dangerous they should be kept out of the hands of
> the general populace.

And many people would agree with you. Some people would even go so far as
to say speech and decent are so dangerous that they should be kept from the
general populace too. And others might even go so far as to say that the
general populace shouldn't own or control the media. I'm glad they (and
you) are in the minority.