internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] OT: In Florida, shoot first, ask questions later

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] OT: In Florida, shoot first, ask questions later
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:58:02 -0400

On Apr 26, 2005, at 4:05 PM, Shea Tisdale wrote:

I don't think we have a common goal on this. I seek to expand the rights of
citizens to own firearms and use them in lawful manners. And I believe you
seek to restrict the rights of citizens to own them. Am I not correct?

I think we both believe there are some weapons which are too dangerous for the society as a whole for individuals to own.

However the *how dangerous* argument is not really something I can get
behind for use in attempting to determine whether something should be
illegal or not in our current society.

So you wouldn't mind if your neighbor had a nuclear weapon? Or was sitting on enough explosives to blow up a town? Or a biological weapon? As a general rule wouldn't you say that something which could kill everyone on a block in a matter of minutes should be illegal?

I find the libertarian arguments that government has no role in regulating citizens to be non-practical. There's just so many practical areas in which society, by which I mean the general consensus of the citizenry, has come to the conclusion that we're going to have certain rules to minimize loss of life.

Some try to achieve immortality by performing grand deeds or the accumulation of
great wealth. On the whole I prefer to achieve immortality by not dying. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC