internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] OT: In Florida, shoot first, ask questions later

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "'http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <"Internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org:internetworkers"@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] OT: In Florida, shoot first, ask questions later
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 12:04:50 -0400

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

> Any person "has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force
> with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it
> is necessary to do so..."

Gun rights opponents always seem to leave off the important parts of
sentences when trying to scare people. Such as the most critical part: "to
prevent death or great bodily harm."

As I'm sure others will point out, the only change here is removed your duty
to retreat when you feel you are in imminent danger of death or great bodily
harm from an assailant. This isn't some carte-blanche to roam the streets
with gun on your hip. This is an affirmation of every human beings right to
defend their life, if necessary, with deadly force.

I gather from your subject line, the hyperbole and the tell-tale omission of
facts that you aren't a gun rights supporter. I'll just say this. We heard
such hyperbole back in September when the assault weapons ban legislation
expired - the whole "cops will be mowed down", "it's like the wild-west",
"the streets will be flowing in blood" mess from the anti-gun crowd. And we
see how incorrect that vision of the future was. Violent crime rates are
down. Crimes committed with assault weapons haven't increased any, and in
general the sky didn't fall. So I'm not going to worry much about your
skewed vision of the apocalypse coming in Florida.