internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] OT: In Florida, shoot first, ask questions later

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David Minton <dminton AT mindspring.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] OT: In Florida, shoot first, ask questions later
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:48:36 -0400

On 04/26/05 3:47 PM, "Michael Czeiszperger" <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
wrote:

> On Apr 26, 2005, at 3:24 PM, Shea Tisdale wrote:
>>

>> And this isn't a red herring designed to a) divert attention from the
>> original discussion and b) scare people about gun-rights? Exactly how
>> did
>> you get from me pointing out the law as it stands to some argument over
>> owning mortars and nuclear weapons? You posted that people aren't
>> allowed
>> to own them and I corrected you. And that is somehow me advocating
>> for the
>> ownership of everything else you mentioned - I think not. The slippery
>> slope
>> of gun-rights...we'll go from personal ownership of firearms to
>> ownership of
>> tanks and nuclear weapons...if that isn't a scare tactic I don't know
>> what
>> is.
>
> On the contrary, I'm trying to establish a common goal from which to
> work out a compromise.
>
> If you believe that some weapons (like a rocket-propelled grenade
> launcher) are too dangerous for the general population then we have a
> point of agreement to work from. The next step is only to establish
> *how dangerous* a weapon has to be before it should be illegal.

I think cars are probably the most dangerous weapon in the hands of the
average American. According to the CDC, more than 500,000 hospitalizations
and 41,000 deaths are attributed to car accidents each year in this country
<http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/mvsafety.htm>.

David