internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] W Visit to Raleigh

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] W Visit to Raleigh
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 18:35:29 -0500

I know I've already responded to this once, but I was in a hurry then
and didn't have time to put in everything I had to say. Here's the rest. Although it reads differently now than it would have if it had
been written a few days ago, for various reasons.

Far from being "self-deprecating", your statement instead shows a lack of
willingness to confront the problems we have with the current system.
Sure, it's easy to say the entire system (the two parties) is corrupt and must be done away with. It is an entirely different thing, however, to
realize that burying your head in the sand and complaining (which, after
all, is what your statement is) won't accomplish anything and that if you

I believe that I am a long way from "having my head stuck in the sand," Tanner. Let me tell you what I did last week alone to try and make a difference in our system.

Tuesday night: Went to UNC for a panel on "3rd Parties and their Impact
on American Democracy," which featured Ellie Kinnaird (NC Senate rep for
Orange and Person counties), Dr. Steven Rosenstone (author, professor of
political science at U. of Minnesotta) and Michael Badnarik (author,
2004 Libertarian Presidential candidate). Listened to the panel
discussion, and then spent some time talking with Dr. Rosenstone, asking
for his opinion on various strategies Libertarians might pursue to have
more success. Spent some time talking to various people I met,
explaining Libertarianism and answering questions. Learned that there
are bills circulating in the NCGA for IRV, Proportional Representation,
and easier ballot access for 3rd parties. Made a note to look up
those bills and start making phone calls, sending emails, etc. in
support of them.

Thursday night: Went to Wake County LP meeting to discuss LP business,
strategy, etc. with local Libertarians. Guest speaker was Michael Badnarik, who gave a very inspirational talk.

Friday: as soon as news broke that the so called "Real ID" act had
passed the House, started calling NC representatives to express my
opinion of their vote. Got as far as calling David Price and Charles Taylor before being interrupted.

Saturday: spent all day in Mike's Consitution Class out in Thomasville
NC. Learning about the Constitution so I'll be better equipped to
explain to people why almost everything the US government currently does
is unconstitutional. Donated an extra $50 to support Mike's upcoming
campaign in Texas.

Now that's a slightly atypical week, but I think you can see that
I'm a long way from having my head stuck in the sand. It seems like
maybe you think that I think "I voted 3rd party, that's it, I did my part, yay." If so, I can tell you that nothing is further from the truth.

> You, however, must realize, however, that if you want to be
> taken seriously at all, the saying things like "both of the main
> parties are just alike" without backing it up and then sniping about
> the election will not win you any converts.
> And you know what? That's pretty sad, because I, for one, should be
> someone the libertarians shouldn't find it difficult to convince. I
> like the liberterian ideals. I, however, am a realist and realize
> that if Libertarians ever really want to effect change, they're not
> going to be able to do it as a 3rd party.

Let me be honest here: If you want me to sell you on the Libetarian
Party, I probably can't. I am not one of those people who is good
at persuading others, or selling things to people (ideas or physical things). I don't see that as my role, and acknowledge that I am not
good at it. And that's OK. I'm more interested in people you might
call "low hanging fruit." That is, people like myself in a regard.

Let me explain... I wasn't always a Libertarian myself. I registered
to vote Republican when I first registered. The thing is, at the time I
did not even know there was such a thing as the LP. Once I discovered
the LP, I didn't need to be sold. I found it, and immediately realized
that they were the party that represented my beliefs. I was already
a libertarian and just didn't know it. So I see my role in this
whole thing, as mainly just being somebody who brings up Libertarianism
as often as possible, hoping to expose it to other people who "are
already libertarian and just don't know it." I do not see my role
as largely being somebody to persuade people to vote Libertarian.

As for saying that the two major parties are the same... I don't
know that I've ever said they are exactly the same. If I did, then
I misspoke (likely out of haste). Clearly there are (some) differences.
But what I would contend is that both major parties are more alike
than different, especially when compared to the alternatives(s). There
is more I could say about that, and maybe I will later when I have more
time to put something together.

Regarding "sniping about the election." I'm a very sarcastic
person by nature. I tend to throw little barbs around like
that. Sometimes it's just a result of frustration. But those
little "snipes" are not my only thoughts on the subject.

Finally: even if I did consider
myself a good persuader, etc., I wouldn't bother trying to
do it by email. Email is a horrid means of communication
for anything beyond quick little memos. If anybody cares
what I think about politics and wants to discuss the subject
in any more detail, let's get together in person and talk.
There is just too much that gets lost in email to make
it useful for that type of discussion. Which is another reason
I don't care to get into really deep, involved conversations on
mailing lists, chat boards, forums, etc.

TTYL,

Phil
--
Don't blame me, I voted for Badnarik