internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] W Visit to Raleigh

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] W Visit to Raleigh
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 00:08:03 -0500

Phil,

Far from being "self-deprecating", your statement instead shows a lack of
willingness to confront the problems we have with the current system.
Sure, it's easy to say the entire system (the two parties) is corrupt and
must be done away with. It is an entirely different thing, however, to
realize that burying your head in the sand and complaining (which, after
all, is what your statement is) won't accomplish anything and that if you
really care about the system, and I mean really care, then you're going
to have to work through the system already in place to effect change.
Yes, I'm glad you had the opportunity to cast a 3rd party vote in this
election. You, however, must realize, however, that if you want to be
taken seriously at all, the saying things like "both of the main parties
are just alike" without backing it up and then sniping about the election
will not win you any converts.

And you know what? That's pretty sad, because I, for one, should be someone
the libertarians shouldn't find it difficult to convince. I like the
liberterian
ideals. I, however, am a realist and realize that if Libertarians ever really
want to effect change, they're not going to be able to do it as a 3rd party.
I believe it was John Gilmore who coined the phrase, "bohemian libertarian"
or a libertarian that works within the 2 party system. Change things from
within or they'll never change at all. It'll be hard, but anything worth
anything is.

To quote a fairly good movie (at least I thought so): "We've got serious
problems and we need serious people to solve them. Your five minutes
are up."

Tanner

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 23:43:15 -0500, Phillip Rhodes
<mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk> wrote:
> Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>
> > Sorry, Phil, but I can't think of a more lame slogan in the world right
> > now.
>
> Geez, Tanner, your being so short-sighted is hardly my problem! :-)
>
> how about:
>
> Viva La SCO!
> Linux: Yours for only $699.00
> I like yellow pork shards
> Purple Pumpkins Prickle Pearly Patterns Patently
> Microsoft: Software for a Secure World
> Slashdot: Intellectual discussion 24x7
> Fox News: Fair and Balanced
>
> Aaaaaaanyway... it was a joke to begin with. A mildly self-deprecating
> one at that, since most people wouldn't brag about voting for a
> candidate who only receive about .2% of the vote. But then again, I
> never did much care for doing things like other people. <grin>
>
> TTYL,
>
> Phil
> --
> Don't blame me, I voted for Badnarik