internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] W Visit to Raleigh

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] W Visit to Raleigh
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:29:43 -0500

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

Phil,

Far from being "self-deprecating", your statement instead shows a lack of
willingness to confront the problems we have with the current system.

You're reading way too much into that, Tanner.

Sure, it's easy to say the entire system (the two parties) is corrupt and must be done away with. It is an entirely different thing, however, to
realize that burying your head in the sand and complaining (which, after
all, is what your statement is)

Again, I think you're trying to infer too much. That statement is a long way from representing my entire view on matters. There's a lot more to what I believe, and what I'm willing to do, that you simply are
not aware of.

> won't accomplish anything and that if you
really care about the system, and I mean really care, then you're going
to have to work through the system already in place to effect change.
> <snip>
And you know what? That's pretty sad, because I, for one, should be someone
the libertarians shouldn't find it difficult to convince. I like the
liberterian
ideals. I, however, am a realist and realize that if Libertarians ever really
want to effect change, they're not going to be able to do it as a 3rd party.
I believe it was John Gilmore who coined the phrase, "bohemian libertarian"
or a libertarian that works within the 2 party system. Change things from within or they'll never change at all. It'll be hard, but anything worth anything is.

That's certainly a position with some merit, and I know a lot of people who agree with it. And it's a point of contention among Libertarians
on a frequent basis. I myself have expressed some frustration with the
way the LP sometimes does not seem focused enough on actually winning elections. So much so that I have considered trying to start another
party, with similar ideas, but with a more pragmatic approach. So much
so that I've considered (am am still considering) running for public
office - as a Democrat.

And don't think that I (and many other Libertarians) aren't working
within the system to try and change things. There are bills floating around the NC General Assembly even now concerning things like ballot access, instant runoff voting, and proportional representation, which Libertarians have worked hard to support and back.

And many of us are spending considerable effort to try and improve things given the current environment. I know I called or wrote to or more of Elizabeth Dole, Jim Price, & John Edwards, about a dozen times last year, to support or argue against one bill or another. That is
not to say that there isn't more that I could have done, but being
just a "regular guy" without tons of money or an special political
connections or clout, I'm pretty limited in my ability to affect the
system.

TTYL,

Phil
--