internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] wirelessness redundance?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] wirelessness redundance?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:35:38 -0500 (EST)

as soon as i posted here our large www file server crashed. fsck is not
fast there. it could be a while. i was trying to avoid a long linkless
post but here it is:

Wirelessness redundant!

On page 7A of today's News and Observer, Nextel has a full page advert for
their wireless service. The irony is that the area pictured in the advert
is the lawn of Weaver Street Market in Carrboro. Memsy Price, a Nortel
marketer, who is pictured in the advert doesn't need Nextel to get
internet access while at Weaver Street.

At least two wireless quilts cover the Weaver Street lawn. The first is
completely free and open to all. It's provided by Weaver Street as part of
the Town of Carrboro's wireless blanket.

The second comes from the UNC offices in the same building as Weaver
Street Market (just upstairs). That network is restricted to UNC faculty,
students and staff. But that group is a pretty significant part of the
Weaver Street community.

To be fair to Nextel, they have very wide coverage in this area if their
maps are an accurate guide, but the advert selling Carrboro as the reason
to have their wireless plan is funny to me and a bit wrong.