internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Apple goes for market share

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Apple goes for market share
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:02:43 -0500

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:41:18 -0500, Noah <noahgodwin AT earthlink.net> wrote:
> Life expectancy? are you talking about hardware reliablility or useful
> lifespan? Hardware reliability is moot. It will be obsolete by the time the
> warranty is expired. Useful lifespan is limited by your own desire to run
> the latest software. If you are content to use the same version of the
> software you are currently using, most machines can be useful for a very
> long time.

Actually, while the last sentence is true, it also doesn't tell the
entire story.
Yes, you can stay at the same software level if you want, but with Apple
products you can also use the latest software for a long time. My main
laptop is a 600Mhz G3 iBook. It's at least 3 years old by now (if not older)
and runs the latest version of OS X, all the apps they provide,
Firefox, thunderbird,
etc... and runs them quite well. True it's not as fast a a 1GHz G4
iBook/powerbook,
but it works well enough for me to do whatever I want to do.

Tanner