internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Apple goes for market share

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Noah" <noahgodwin AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Apple goes for market share
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:41:18 -0500

> I guess if you want ot compare a machine made with bargain basement prices
to a one with quality components go ahead.

Now I know the fit and finish of a Mac is pretty good, but is it *that* good?
Don't get me wrong. I started my nerdness on an apple ][+. I used to love apples. When they bullheadedly refused to cooperate with the aftermarket, they *gave* the market share away...

Yes the fit and finish is worth it. It just seems that you don't get and probably never will. You could also take into consideration that a Mac has a much longer life expectancy...

Life expectancy? are you talking about hardware reliablility or useful lifespan? Hardware reliability is moot. It will be obsolete by the time the warranty is expired. Useful lifespan is limited by your own desire to run the latest software. If you are content to use the same version of the software you are currently using, most machines can be useful for a very long time.

We are arguing over something (akin to religion) that neither of us can convince the other of anyway, so I suggest we drop it. I'm not sure why I responded in the first place, other than to show what kind of PC you can put together in 5 mins of shopping at a place that is far from the cheapest place around. Note that the specs were *far* superior to the iCandy. If you are going to compare something, why not use quantifiable things?

You can get with this, or you can go with that. I guess I'll stick with this, because this is where it's at.

-Noah