internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Apple goes for market share

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Apple goes for market share
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:34:24 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Bill Geschwind wrote:
If the PCs that you support are gone after 2 years then you must not be
doing a particularly good job supporting them. I support a bunch of PCs at
work, including several hundred 3-5 year old ones and they still work just
fine in a production environment. Also, one of the PCs I have at home is a
PIII 550 with 512 MB of RAM that I built back in '99 and it runs the latest
Windows (XPSP2) just fine. I don't have any experience supporting Macs, so I
will stay out of that argument for now, but the notion that PCs are used up
in just 2 years is just plain ludicrous!

It's much more prevelant with the laptops, but when you look at what is required to run the latest greatest software for windows then after 2 years you start losing. I have servers that are older than 2 years but they're running Linux or BSD. The desktops seem to fair a little better but end up as Linux boxes after about 2 years, 3 at the outside. As for your PIII at home I doubt you can run the latest games or statistical analysis software on it. But a 500Mhz G4 runs all the latest software just fine.

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1959 GMC in Chevy Sheetmetal 1/2 Ton (235" Inline 6)
1990 Ducati 750 Sport