internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Apple goes for market share

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT shell.neverwhere.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Apple goes for market share
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 13:19:14 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Noah wrote:
Life expectancy? are you talking about hardware reliablility or useful lifespan? Hardware reliability is moot. It will be obsolete by the time the warranty is expired. Useful lifespan is limited by your own desire to run the latest software. If you are content to use the same version of the software you are currently using, most machines can be useful for a very long time.

Life expectancy, reliability, and lifespan are all increased. I support your loved PC's on a daily basis and after 2 years they're gone period. But we have macs going back to beige G3's that are still running the lates versions of software in a production environment. My personal machines (Apple Cube and Powerbook 667) are both over 3 years old and run the latest software and OS great. Hey wait a minute my Cube is over 4 years old. Hmmmm...

We are arguing over something (akin to religion) that neither of us can convince the other of anyway, so I suggest we drop it. I'm not sure why I responded in the first place, other than to show what kind of PC you can put together in 5 mins of shopping at a place that is far from the cheapest place around. Note that the specs were *far* superior to the iCandy. If you are going to compare something, why not use quantifiable things?

If you are going to compare costs you need to compare it with something you buy with quality parts and all the bells and whistles and not sale cheap parts. I spec machines on a weekly basis and contrary to what a lot of people think a Mac is no more expensive than a commodity PC.

Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com
http://www.rod-o-rama.com
http://www.thehellbenders.com
1959 GMC in Chevy Sheetmetal 1/2 Ton (235" Inline 6)
1990 Ducati 750 Sport