internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler AT gmail.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] question
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:23:39 -0400

On Oct 27, 2004, at 12:55 PM, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

You might try looking at this report entitled "The Separate Realities of
Bush and Kerry Supporters":

http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Pres_Election_04/Report10_21_04.pdf
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A57582-2004Oct23.html

Really interesting!

"Though this poll was taken immediately after chief weapons inspector Charles Duelfer delivered his report to Congress on whether Iraq had WMD, a majority of Bush supporters misperceived the conclusions of his report. Fifty-seven percent believed that that he concluded that Iraq did have either WMD (19%) or a major program for developing them (38%). "

As far as I can tell the main reason for the misperceptions is Fox News and right-wing radio. The majority of Bush supporters get their news from those sources, which report falsehoods on a daily basis. I read a study that measured perceptions of basic facts about Iraq based on where people got their news, and a huge percentage of Fox viewers still believe Iraq has WMD, where only 1 or 2% of NPR listeners held this belief.

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC