internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] question

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ilan Volow <listboy AT clarux.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] question
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:38:20 -0400

As a bit of background, I generally dislike both extreme conservatives and liberals. I think that the government has a responsibility to care for its citizens and should do things like mandate that schools should freely give out condoms and teach sex ed, and I also believe you should never trust anyone who wears birkenstocks and eats granola. As democrats seem to be more pragmatic than republicans, I'm probably more democratic in my views.

I was going to vote for Bush because I don't believe that administrations should change in times of war, irrespective of whether the administration is Democrat or Republican or who started the war. I have this fear of a Kerry staffer moving into the white house and accidently misplacing a bush staffer's little yellow sticky note with Osama Bin Laden's new home address.

I think at this point, though, the little yellow sticky note (along with 400 tons of explosives) has already been misplaced. And I'm not a big fan of the government buying Haliburton a new truck every time a previous truck gets a flat. And I don't think applying the "thinner, faster, cheaper, with less" mantra that has constantly failed one corporation after another and is ruining our economy should be applied to military situations with the same disastrous results. Rumsfeld is an idiot for underestimating the number of troops we'd actually need for Iraq, and the human factors person in me hates him for trying to replace tanks with lightly armored "high-tech" Stryker vehicles that lets gunners by stuff off of e-bay but forces them to climb *outside* the vehicles while under fire to get a new ammo box.

While I don't believe that leadership should change in war time, I make an exception for incompetent war leaders, which Bush has shown himself to be. I guess my answer is "I was going to vote for Bush, and these were the reasons why."

On a random note, I had toyed around with the idea of Internetworkers establishing a few "devil's" advocate positions on the list where a couple members, whether they believe them or not, argue on the list for extremely conservative ideas. I think it would make the discussions less one-sided and more interesting.