internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] OT for even this group: jetta vs. civic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Corey Wilson <corey_wilson AT earthlink.net>
  • To: stan AT StanBriggs.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] OT for even this group: jetta vs. civic
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:49:24 -0400

I have a Jetta and I agree with everything said so far on this topic. VWs /were/ really great cars... until they started assembling them in Mexico. Since then, their quality has declined substantially. They are still good cars, but you can't run them into the ground like you used to. I don't have CR access, but here are some links:

Jetta: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?modelid=10115&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=4&sub=3
Civic:
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Reliability.aspx?modelid=10190&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=4&sub=3

My $.02:

* I've had two window motors replaced since 2001. No, they are not covered under extended warranty, and, no, they haven't been recalled.

* I'm at 50,000 miles and I've had no other problems besides a flaky wheel bearing (which was covered).

* Southern States does, indeed, suck - but they may be an exception. I have had excellent VW service in Georgia, Florida, and California.

* I own a four cylander turbo (1.8T). It gets 28 city/33 hwy MPG. Last week I drove 415 miles on 12.3 gallons of gas.

* It is more fun than the Civic. I've, um, "tested" the car at 130 MPH and still had 1,500 RPM to go 'till redline. I believe this speaks to the Car Talk comment as well, but my point is: I don't fear getting on the interstate like I do when I drive Civics. Jettas actually go when you press the pedal.

* Other features in the Jetta's favor include better handling & stopping power, ASR, and a serious airbag system (I have eight airbags). The interior is also much, much quieter and the ride is smoother than the Civic.