internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Fwd: Kerry/Edwards in Raleigh Sat.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Fwd: Kerry/Edwards in Raleigh Sat.
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:58:22 -0400

Lee Haslup wrote:

Hey Phil,

Given that I am one of the few pro-war types lurking on the Internetworkers group -- and possibly the *only* pro-war libertarian on the list --

Maybe not, Lee. As you may recall me telling you at the JUG meeting,
I was actually (tenatively) in favor of the war when it first started.
And despite the fact that the supposed WMD has not been found yet,
and the fact that the "evidence" linking Saddam to Al-Queda is
(IMHO) shaky at best, I still believe the world is better off with
Saddam out of power. And I think the Iraqi people are ultimately
better off.

BUT, I still feel like Bush and his administration may have misrepresented the information about Iraq, to generate public
support for the war. That I disagree with. And yes, I recall
your statement about the WMD's being trucked out of the country
before we arrived. And I will admit that such a thing is possible.
I will also admit that I don't necessarily accept that position
as necessarily true. I'd need to see move evidence to support it.

Anyway, the war happened, and that's that. Now, my main interest
is in seeing us help the Iraqi's get their government established
and stabilized, and get US forces the hell out of there, preferably
as soon as possible.

it occurred to me that convincing Internetworkers and/or prospective Kerryites that Kerry is a warmonger may not be a bad thing.

I may have misspoke slightly in saying "John Kerry is *just as* pro-war
as Bush. But the point is, Kerry has NOT been the big peace advocate
that he obviously wants people to think he has been. Neither has John
Edwards. Personally, I perceive that a lot of Kerry supporters are supporting Kerry because they are anti-war, and perceive him to be
as well. So as a Libertarian, I'm interested in showing people the
hypocrisy of John Kerry, and explain to them that if they are
trying to vote against Bush, they would be better served to vote for
Mike Badnarik than John Kerry.

TTYL,

Phil
--