internetworkers - [internetworkers] War -n- Such [was: Kerry/Edwards...]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] War -n- Such [was: Kerry/Edwards...]
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:11:34 -0400 (EDT)

In reference to Phillip Rhodes's message:
> And despite the fact that the supposed WMD has not been found yet,
> and the fact that the "evidence" linking Saddam to Al-Queda is
> (IMHO) shaky at best, I still believe the world is better off with
> Saddam out of power. And I think the Iraqi people are ultimately
> better off.

As justification for invading a country, that is a piss-poor excuse. I
mean, I agree that the region is better off without him, but it's a shoddy
excuse for an invasion. It was a shoddy excuse during Operation Just
Cause, and it's still a shoddy excuse. Hell, I think the region would be
better off without Ariel Sharon, but we aren't gonna see *that* invasion
in anyone's lifetime. There are plenty of shithead dictators in Africa
that we should be putting six feet under, but they don't have any oil so
who cares. If we're going to use toppling evil tyrants and corrupt
governments as an excuse, then I better wake up tomorrow to the news of US
Marines on the ground in Sudan...

> BUT, I still feel like Bush and his administration may have
> misrepresented the information about Iraq, to generate public
> support for the war. That I disagree with. And yes, I recall
> your statement about the WMD's being trucked out of the country
> before we arrived. And I will admit that such a thing is possible.
> I will also admit that I don't necessarily accept that position
> as necessarily true. I'd need to see move evidence to support it.

Oh, no, no, no. They were there all along. They weren't trucked out, no;
they were flown ... to the US:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5380542/
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/US/reuters20040707_309.html
You'd think they'd be jumping up and down, shouting "Ah-ha! We told you
so!" These aren't bombs, but neither were the supposed "yellow cakes" or
vats of anthrax (or whatever). This is a perfect photo op; instead, they
quietly defy the UN and have it all conveniently shipped over here.
Things that make you go hmmm...

-Alan