internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] pig

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] pig
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:55:41 -0500

on Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 03:47:21PM -0500, Ron Thigpen wrote:
> Steven Champeon wrote:
>
> >Peurco pibil.
>

> Oh yeah!
>
> If your recipe is anything like what I had the last time I was in
> Mexico, then it is Good Stuff. "Pibil" is a generic term for a style of
> pit-cooked BBQ that is made in the Yucatan. Pollo Pibil and Cochinita
> Pibil are common. The basic technique involve a dry rub spice mix
> containing ground achiote seed, a banana leaf wrapper and an overnight
> stay in a pit of coals. The achiote has a slightly bitter, earthy
> flavor that is a fine complement to pork and smoke.

Yeah, it's achiote - definitely see the 10 minute cooking school thing;
it's pretty funny. Robert Rodriguez: "You can buy pre-made achiote paste...
but... it's weak. So we're going to make our own." :)

We had some cochinita down here at Las Manitas, and I had some more at
Curra's - it's just great stuff all around. To make it in Raleigh, you
can pick up banana leaves at the Grand Asia Market over by the
Burlington Coat Factory just off Buck Jones, and you can get most of
what you need spice-wise at the Lowe's nearby, though they didn't have
unground annatto seeds, just pre-ground. I'd love to find out where to
get unground - any pointers?

Steve,
fat and happy in Austin

Buy "Cascading Style Sheets: Separating Content from Presentation, 2/e" today!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159059231X/heskecominc-20/ref=nosim/