internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] pig

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] pig
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:35:30 -0500

Steven Champeon wrote:

We had some cochinita down here at Las Manitas, and I had some more at
Curra's - it's just great stuff all around. To make it in Raleigh, you
can pick up banana leaves at the Grand Asia Market over by the
Burlington Coat Factory just off Buck Jones, and you can get most of
what you need spice-wise at the Lowe's nearby, though they didn't have
unground annatto seeds, just pre-ground. I'd love to find out where to
get unground - any pointers?

You should be able to find the seeds in the Latino food section of any
grocery. Look among the clear plastic, hanging baggies filled with dried
spices. You can also sometimes find it in plastic jars among the canned
salsas. Or check out any local Tienda.

Be careful when you are grinding these things. They're _resilient_. Each
seed is one very hard little triangular chiclet. You'll need either a
pretty serious spice grinder or a mortar/pestle that you don't mind
really working out on. And the wetted powder is a pretty good stain of
skin, countertops and plastic appliances. Also, be sure to balance it
with the other spices. Too much achiote will lean towards the bitter.

I haven't done a smoked pork, but I have made chicken. Slathered pieces
in wetted rub paste, sealed it in foil pouches and gave it a slow steam
in the oven. Turned out well, although it might have benefitted from a
couple of hours in the rub before it went in the oven. Need to try some
pork over smoke.

--rt