internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] pig

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] pig
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:26:32 -0500

on Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 04:35:30PM -0500, Ron Thigpen wrote:
> Steven Champeon wrote:
> > I'd love to find out where to get unground annatto seeds - any pointers?
>
> You should be able to find the seeds in the Latino food section of any
> grocery. Look among the clear plastic, hanging baggies filled with dried
> spices. You can also sometimes find it in plastic jars among the canned
> salsas. Or check out any local Tienda.

Yeah, I looked there at the Lowe's, which has a good Latino section, but
no dice.

> Be careful when you are grinding these things. They're _resilient_. Each
> seed is one very hard little triangular chiclet. You'll need either a
> pretty serious spice grinder or a mortar/pestle that you don't mind
> really working out on. And the wetted powder is a pretty good stain of
> skin, countertops and plastic appliances. Also, be sure to balance it
> with the other spices. Too much achiote will lean towards the bitter.

I can vouch for all of these. My coffee grinder worked well, though, on
the seeds. Be sure to use old dish cloths, for sure.

Oh, and BTW - the Bloomsbury Bistro has a new menu, and the "empanada"
is fantastic.

Buy "Cascading Style Sheets: Separating Content from Presentation, 2/e" today!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159059231X/heskecominc-20/ref=nosim/