internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] pig

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] pig
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:47:21 -0500

Steven Champeon wrote:

Peurco pibil.

Oh yeah!

If your recipe is anything like what I had the last time I was in Mexico, then it is Good Stuff. "Pibil" is a generic term for a style of pit-cooked BBQ that is made in the Yucatan. Pollo Pibil and Cochinita Pibil are common. The basic technique involve a dry rub spice mix containing ground achiote seed, a banana leaf wrapper and an overnight stay in a pit of coals. The achiote has a slightly bitter, earthy flavor that is a fine complement to pork and smoke.

Plenty of recipes on the web, though I'm curious to see Steve's.

<http://www.google.com/search?q=cochinita+pibil>

Now you've got me thinking about it, I may have see about picking up a Niman Ranch shoulder and firing up the smoker. Yip!

--rt