internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] pig

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] pig
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 09:23:35 -0500

on Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 03:31:10PM -0500, Steven Champeon wrote:
> on Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:17:30AM -0500, MCW wrote:
> > On Monday 15 March 2004 11:46 pm, Thomas Beckett wrote:
> > > Here's a hopeful sign that the bland old "other white meat" will be
> > > getting flavorful again.
> >
> > While we're on the topic of pork... Steve Champeon, what was that
> > recipe again you told me at the last gathering? Thanks!
>
> Peurco pibil. I got the recipe from "10 minute cooking school", a
> special feature on the DVD for "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". I can't
> find the recipe online, and I'm in Austin for SxSW, but I'll dig it up
> when I get back into town.

OK, here 'tis:

puerco pibil, aka conchinita pibil

5 lbs pork butt
banana leaves (you can get these at Grand Asia Market)

You'll need to grind these into a fine dust (Rodriguez recommends using
a "spice-only" coffee grinder):

5 tbsp annatto seeds
2 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp pepper
8 allspice
1/2 tsp cloves

Mix the spice dust with:
2 seeded habanero peppers, diced fine
1/2 cup OJ
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 tsp salt
8 cloves garlic
juice of 5 lemons
splash of fine tequila

Cut the butt into 2" squares, put into a large (gallon worked for me)
ziploc, and pour sauce over the meat. He didn't say how long to marinate
it so we didn't marinate it very long. Line a pan with the banana leaves
(which come frozen, so give them a chance to thaw to facilitate better
um, bendiness. Bake for 4 hours at 325 degrees. Serve over a bed of
white or spanish rice with a bit of tomato, cilantro/parsley, and a
halved jalapeno pepper. Yum.

Buy "Cascading Style Sheets: Separating Content from Presentation, 2/e" today!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/159059231X/heskecominc-20/ref=nosim/