internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] fury over WTC ads

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Diana Duncan <dianaduncan AT contentdb.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] fury over WTC ads
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 11:39:39 -0500

On Friday, Mar 5, 2004, at 15:16 US/Eastern, Tony Spencer wrote:

well although david tried to make the case that its unacceptable to compare
events in history to today, he gave himself away when he did just that:

"but i can tell you without question, George W. Bush is no FDR."

now that we know he can compare a previous president to the current, will he
answer the question?

was it wrong for FDR to use pearl harbor in his presidential campaign
material?
YES or NO?

No. Because no-one at the time had made a promise not to politicize the event (that I am aware of). Also, it was a different time - have you ever been amazed at the wartime posters about the Huns? Do you think similar posters about "ragheads" would fly today? Anyway, everyone in current politics made a *big* point to say they wouldn't politicize the events of 9/11. Now, I'm of the opinion that the "fury" over the ads is actually defensive politicization. The firefighters union has endorsed Kerry. It's in poor taste for George W. to use the images, but perhaps "Remember 9/11" as a slogan would be OK - remember, images are worth 1000 words. :)

Diana - joining the party late.