internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: Raleigh City Council USA PATRIOT Act Resolution Update

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: James Dasher <jdasher AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: Raleigh City Council USA PATRIOT Act Resolution Update
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:17:33 -0500

On Tuesday, Mar 9, 2004, at 16:34 US/Eastern, Christian Stalberg wrote:

see http://www.bordc.org

To date seven local governments in North Carolina have passed USA PATRIOT
Act resolutions, including Carrboro, Chapel Hill, Davidson, Durham, Durham
County, Greensboro, and Orange County.

Why did they pass these resolutions?

Yes, yes, the PATRIOT Act reduces our freedoms and consigns us all to miserable servitude under the auspices of the Great Leader and his Revolutionary Cadre.

Neo-commie sarcasm aside, what does the Act do besides allow the things the FBI and others have been doing legally for decades - wiretaps, etc. - to take place in a post-AT&T-break-up world? (That would be 1984, the year communications fragmentation and proliferation got the chance to take root and blossom.)

Library records? Though the power to search them is there, I am not aware of a single instance in which the power has been used. Similarly with other provisions that heralded the demise of the republic (though the roving wiretaps and other things have, I understand, been used).

I don't like wiretaps or other infringements on my privacy, either. But we don't really have a right to privacy - else things like environmental regulations, civil rights legislation, income redistribution programs, etc., couldn't take place or be enforced.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? (To revisit a recent joke....)

Regards -