internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Re: Replying to e-mails

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Chris Grindstaff <chris AT gstaff.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Re: Replying to e-mails
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:40:12 -0500

https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/internetworkers/2004-March/thread.html#14556

AM> I routinely start new threads as replies to old ones (thereby saving
AM> myself those few precious seconds of typing an address or pulling it from
AM> the addressbook ;), yet I haven't received any comment from Tanner. This
AM> leads me to believe either
AM> (a) Tanner never receives my messages,
AM> (b) Tanner ignores | dev/nulls my messages, or
AM> (c) something about one or the other of our mail clients allows my
AM> messages to be properly re-threaded.

AM> curious in a technical, but not too technical, sort of way,
AM> Alan

Alan,
My understanding of the issue is that it's a problem with how the
message is sent. As Tanner said, don't start a new message by replying
to an old one.

Individual clients could try to use better algorithms to determine
threading but this particular case would be difficult since you
sometimes want to change the subject of a threaded message and still
maintain threading.

A technical description here: <http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html>

Chris
--