internetworkers - [internetworkers] Re: Replying to e-mails

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Re: Replying to e-mails
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 13:22:54 -0500 (EST)

> ...if you "reply" to a message, those of us with threaded e-mail
> readers then see your new e-mail listed under a previous thread.

Someone with mail system skills, please, explain this to me. (I suppose
it would help to know what mail client Tanner uses.) Is it the fault of
Tanner's client (recipient) or of Tony's (sender)? What about an email
determines its attachment or not to a given thread? The INW archives
support Tanner's complaint:
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/internetworkers/2004-March/thread.html#14556

I routinely start new threads as replies to old ones (thereby saving
myself those few precious seconds of typing an address or pulling it from
the addressbook ;), yet I haven't received any comment from Tanner. This
leads me to believe either
(a) Tanner never receives my messages,
(b) Tanner ignores | dev/nulls my messages, or
(c) something about one or the other of our mail clients allows my
messages to be properly re-threaded.

curious in a technical, but not too technical, sort of way,
Alan