internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] fury over WTC ads

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David R.Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] fury over WTC ads
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:23:31 -0500

On Mar 5, 2004, at 4:10 PM, Tony Spencer wrote:

One more question:

If Kerry were to use imagery from the Vietnam war and speak about dying
soldiers in an ad for his presidential campaign, would that be offensive as
well?

I feel like I'm getting long-in-the-tooth, much like butter scraped over too much bread.

However, yes I think this would be offensive because even considering Kerry's involvement in the war (on both sides of the issue), it is simply not

1) appropriate
2) applicable
3) relevant

to what we've got going on today. We are not IN Vietnam (thank goodness). That war was over - A LONG TIME AGO. If we as citizens (nay, human beings) keep finding ways and reasons to re-live the horrors and atrocities of the past, then we have little to no hope of achieving a better future.

my final $0.02 for the week.
/drm