internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] DSL from BellSouth

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] DSL from BellSouth
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:03:54 -0500

on Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 07:35:24PM -0500, trekkie AT nomorestars.com wrote:
> Quoting Lyman Green <daerid AT io.com>:
>
> > Does this sound stupid? Is there some technical aspect to this I'm
> > missing or does this sound like typical phone company BS (so to speak)?
>
> My Dad works for Southwestern Bell in Lawrence, KS. he manages the main
> switches for most of the cities in the NE and I asked him about this once.
>
> He said (at the time, this was about 3 years ago) that there were two things
> they needed to do to make DSL work for them. The first was that in order
> for
> basic service on DSL to work the switch had to activate a port with basic
> dial
> tone, IE E911, etc like you have.
>
> And I can't remember the second one now that I started typing. There
> was something about the way service was provided that needed something
> going across or near where the termination points were and it turned
> on phone access.

It has to be a clear channel within 18K ft of a central office (where
the switches are kept) for high-speed DSL; many things can interfere
with that channel, though, such as "bridge taps" and other patches done
to the lines. We can't get DSL in Oakwood (at least, not where we are)
because there are too many bridge taps between us and the CO.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier