internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Marriage and religion

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Marriage and religion
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 17:14:51 -0500

On Feb 7, 2004, at 10:54 AM, Shea Tisdale wrote:

Michael Czeiszperger wrote:

The founding fathers had a variety of personal beliefs, including
Christian, but many of the quotes thrown around to support the idea of
a Christian nation are, ahem, inaccurate:

I'm simply arguing that to say our government was founded devoid of
Christian principles is the equivalent of saying the world is flat.

What you have to do here is separate the concept of the individual from that of the government, and the government was specifically designed to be separate from religion. The only possible reason to go on about the religious beliefs of the early American figures is to justify current political movement's attempts to force their religious beliefs onto the rest of the population.

michael at czeiszperger dot org
Chapel Hill, NC