internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] divining the system

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Greg Cox <glcox AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] divining the system
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 19:30:37 -0500 (EST)

> assuming that the mail server and the web server are one and the same and
> that one has ssh access to the server, is there any command to discern
> whether said server utilizes IMAP?

If it's up and running and on the standard port,
telnet localhost 143

If it's up and running and on a non-standard port,
lsof | grep LISTEN
and then look for it.

If it's not running but you think it might be there,
find / -type f -name "*imap*" -print

> what are all the Unix system "divination tools"?

Not quite sure if this covers what you want, but,
beyond yours, what I consider major research tools:

df, ls, uname, find, file, nmap, lsof, diff,
telnet/ssh/openssl s_client, which, ifconfig