internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Arms Deals [was: the cowards at the Pentagon]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Arms Deals [was: the cowards at the Pentagon]
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 20:13:14 -0500 (EST)

Thanks for the enlightenment! Good answers all [AFAIK].

Reported 03.12.09 19:53 from Alan MacHett:

.:I hear the 240 is a nice weapon. But it's still too large to issue as the
.:standard weapon for every soldier. The M-16 never gave me a problem; in
.:fact, I never heard of it give anyone I knew a problem ... the M16A2, that
.:is (as the M16 is the Vietnam-era issue). And the round is quite stable
.:in flight, although it does have a tiny spiralling pattern, ever
.:increasing at greater distance, and of course dropping due to gravity.
.:
.:The AK-47 is definitely not an accurate weapon, but yeah, the difference
.:between being hit by a 5.56mm (that's just about equivalent to .22
.:calibre) and a 7.62mm round is significant. But from a distance, my
.:money's on the guy with the M16. And then again, you *can* drop an AK in
.:the mud, pick it up and fire it; don't try this at home with your M16.
.:The Uzi has the same "no matter how dirty" reputation.
.:
.:But ask nearly anyone on the planet who knows, and the weapon of choice
.:will be German, if you can afford it. Heckler & Koch makes quite an array
.:of powerful and accurate rifles and machine guns.
.:
.:$0.02,
.:Alan
.:
.:
.:Tom Caswell said:
.:> M16/M4 is a 5.56mm weapon. It's the diameter of the round which is
.:> effectively the same as the bore. The round is unstable in flight due to
.:> its power and size. It tumbles when it enters the body which is supposed
.:> to maim the enemy instead of kill them. This does not always work in
.:> practice and is especially inefficient for wounds to the limbs.
.:>
.:> The AK-47 is a 7.62mm weapon. Larger rounds have a bigger charge which
.:> gives more force when chambering the next round. The M16/M4 does not
.:> provide much force when chambering rounds. I'm not talking about firing
.:> covered in mud either. Frequent firing without cleaning will build up
.:> carbon and if it's not removed, the M16 can get cranky. The AK-47,
.:> however, will fire when covered in mud.
.:>
.:> There is a weapon called the M249. It's a belt-fed 5.56mm automatic
.:> machine gun. It fires quite fast but it jams so often because the force
.:> provided by the 5.56mm rounds to pull the belt through is so weak. If you
.:> don't feed it perfectly you're hosed. The M240 replaced the M60, both
.:> 7.62mm weapons. The M240 pulls the belt through with about 20lbs of
.:> force. So much more reliable.
.:>
.:> Tom
.:>
.:> Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu> wrote:
.:>
.:> Reported 03.12.09 15:23 from Tom Caswell:
.:>
.:> .:Wounding them does not stop them or their buddies. It's time to move
.:> .:to a 7.62mm weapon.
.:>
.:>>From what exactly? (You've aroused my technical curiosity. Why this
.:> particular bore [is that the right term?], and what are we using now? Is
.:> this the size of the AK-47 and friends?)
.:>
.:> --sg
.:>
.:
.:---
.:Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!
http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
.:You are currently subscribed to InterNetWorkers mailing list
.:To unsubscribe visit
.:

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)