internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] the cowards at the Pentagon

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Caswell <derpimpkar AT yahoo.com>
  • To: machett AT ibiblio.org, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] the cowards at the Pentagon
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:23:38 -0800 (PST)

It is better to kill the enemy than wound them.  The M16/M4 was designed to maim not kill the enemy.  As a result, the weapon is underpowered and does not fire well when it gets dirty.  Any AK-47 variant is designed to kill and it does a good job.  It also has enough power to fire reliably when dirty.  I cannot overemphasize the importance of a reliable weapon.

The "one injured person takes three people out of the battle" theory is outdated.  Most of our present day conflicts involve people who do not mind getting shot because it serves a higher cause.  Wounding them does not stop them or their buddies.  It's time to move to a 7.62mm weapon.

Tom

Alan MacHett <machett AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
James Dasher said:
> Leaving enemy soldiers critically wounded still gives the enemy
> latitude to make some last effort that could harm you or your soldiers
> - pulling a trigger, throwing a grenade, activating a bomb, or even
> speed-dialing on the cell phone to warn others. When that happens,
> your soldiers die. The best way to avert such a catastrophe is to
> kill, not wound, an enemy.

just a short comment on this last point:

Standard military theory promotes injuring the enemy. It's even part of
US Army Ranger doctrine. Injured soldiers slow the enemy. Every assault
soldier (the ones actively engaged in warfare -- infantry, artillery,
etc.) requires approximately 10 support personnel; injured soldiers only
exascerbate those figures. Injured soldiers have to be carried and cared
for by their comrades. Injured soldiers also tend to scream in pain,
which has a nice psychological effect on the enemy. Better to nearly kill
them than to kill them.

--Alan

Do you Yahoo!?