internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] the cowards at the Pentagon

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rowland Smith <rowland AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] the cowards at the Pentagon
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2003 20:45:28 -0500

Alan MacHett wrote:

Nine Children Killed in US Airstrike
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/central/12/07/afghan.strike/index.html

"The children and a man were found dead in the central Afghanistan village
of Hutala after the A-10 airstrike intended for a suspected Taliban
terrorist, Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty said Sunday.

"He added that investigators had not determined that Saturday's strike
killed the children. Military spokesmen also said they did not know
whether the dead man was the intended target."

<rant>
First of all, it's interesting to note that this article doesn't appear on
the US edition of CNN.com. Thankfully, the local news carried it.

Why the hell are we using jets to kill individual people? The intended
purpose of the A-10 Thunderbolt is to destroy tanks. This is only one of
a long list of such abuses of military might ... the cruise missle attack
in Yemen, Apache attack helicopters picking off individual soldiers in
Iraq I (the Apache, too, was created to destroy tanks), and all the way
back to the bombing of Qaddafi's residence, to name a few notables.

Don't forget blowing the bejesus out of 4 canadian soldiers:
http://www.canada.com/national/features/friendlyfire/story.html?id=DD8F3395-6DAF-4970-A89E-475CA61A0BC0

and an afghan wedding party (20 killed, many more injured):
http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/central/07/01/afghanistan.bombing/

Is there a site that chronicles this kind of activity? Maybe BushFuckups.com?

Didn't Benjamin Franklin say something like "A bush in the hand isn't worth birdshit" ? or maybe "A bush in office is worth two hands full of birdshit" ?

Rowland

This is part and parcel for the Pentagon. Some or many might support it,
but I veiw it as pure cowardice. These are not military strikes; they are
assasinations using the most overblown level of firepower.

Yeah, yeah, ... World Trade Center attack ... eye for an eye ... blah,
blah, blah... My ass! We need to hold ourselves to our own standards.

Y'know, it's not even cost effective. Compare the cost of fueling,
arming, flying, etc. a jet fighter -- add to that the mistake of killing 9
children and maybe not killing the intended target -- to the cost of
sending some special forces troops by helo'. Well, who knows; maybe it
*does* cost less money to send the A-10, but wouldn't it be so much more
honorable and satisfying to have troops capture an enemy in a show of
force rather than send some stick-jockey to play his video game on
faceless and unsuspecting people below?

Yeah, "honor"; I know that's a hard word to choke down in this day and
age. Today marks the 62nd year since the attack on Pearl Harbor. Those
are the kinds of soldiers I admire. Those guys went through hell for a
good cause, and they didn't have high-tech gadgets to distance themselves
physically and emotionally from the enemy. It, and maybe Korea, were the
last "good" wars the US fought in; the rest are all just about somebody
else's money.

</rant>
--Alan

http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/