internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Arms Deals [was: the cowards at the Pentagon]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Caswell <derpimpkar AT yahoo.com>
  • To: machett AT ibiblio.org, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Arms Deals [was: the cowards at the Pentagon]
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 19:17:42 -0800 (PST)

The 240 is a crew served weapon - gunner and assistant, two ammo bearers.  It's a rock.

My problems with the M16 (A2) and M4 were mostly carbon and sand based.  The bolt would get stuck and you'd have to forward assist it too much.  I know how to clean it and there's no reason for 9 rounds plus another 30 or so to cause a carbon problem.  Sand would foul it instantly.  Plenty of that in NC.  Maybe I had a bad weapon but I wasn't that impressed.

We were taught about the "unstable" characteristics of the M16 round.  I wasn't naive enough to think it pinwheeled as it left the barrel.  But it seemed to me that in order for it to tumble there had to be something off balance.  I found an interesting article on the subject:

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs13.htm

All of the SF guys got to play with HK.  Very envious.  Where did you serve?

Tom

Alan MacHett <machett AT ibiblio.org> wrote:
I hear the 240 is a nice weapon. But it's still too large to issue as the
standard weapon for every soldier. The M-16 never gave me a problem; in
fact, I never heard of it give anyone I knew a problem ... the M16A2, that
is (as the M16 is the Vietnam-era issue). And the round is quite stable
in flight, although it does have a tiny spiralling pattern, ever
increasing at greater distance, and of course dropping due to gravity.

The AK-47 is definitely not an accurate weapon, but yeah, the difference
between being hit by a 5.56mm (that's just about equivalent to .22
calibre) and a 7.62mm round is significant. But from a distance, my
money's on the guy with the M16. And then again, you *can* drop an AK in
the mud, pick it up and fire it; don't try this at home with your M16.
The Uzi has the same "no matter how dirty" reputation.

But ask nearly anyone on the planet who knows, and the weapon of choice
will be German, if you can afford it. Heckler & Koch makes quite an array
of powerful and accurate rifles and machine guns.

$0.02,
Alan

Tom Caswell said:
> M16/M4 is a 5.56mm weapon. It's the diameter of the round which is
> effectively the same as the bore. The round is unstable in flight due to
> its power and size. It tumbles when it enters the body which is supposed
> to maim the enemy instead of kill them. This does not always work in
> practice and is especially inefficient for wounds to the limbs.
>
> The AK-47 is a 7.62mm weapon. Larger rounds have a bigger charge which
> gives more force when chambering the next round. The M16/M4 does not
> provide much force when chambering rounds. I'm not talking about firing
> covered in mud either. Frequent firing without cleaning will build up
> carbon and if it's not removed, the M16 can get cranky. The AK-47,
> however, will fire when covered in mud.
>
> There is a weapon called the M249. It's a belt-fed 5.56mm automatic
> machine gun. It fires quite fast but it jams so often because the force
> provided by the 5.56mm rounds to pull the belt through is so weak. If you
> don't feed it perfectly you're hosed. The M240 replaced the M60, both
> 7.62mm weapons. The M240 pulls the belt through with about 20lbs of
> force. So much more reliable.
>
> Tom
>
> Sil Greene wrote:
>
> Reported 03.12.09 15:23 from Tom Caswell:
>
> .:Wounding them does not stop them or their buddies. It's time to move
> .:to a 7.62mm weapon.
>
>>From what exactly? (You've aroused my technical curiosity. Why this
> particular bore [is that the right term?], and what are we using now? Is
> this the size of the AK-47 and friends?)
>
> --sg

Do you Yahoo!?