internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] [kook]bikes vs. cars

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott Lundgren" <s_l AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] [kook]bikes vs. cars
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:15:05 -0400

>>I don't honk at them, potentially startling
>>them and getting them run over. I don't pull out in front of them.

I realize in light of getting 'grazed' this is truly a peeve than a safety
issue. Automobile A arrives at a country lane four way intersection seconds
before noticing Cyclist B, on Automobile A's left, slowing to a stop with 10
feet to go. Having a) arrived and come to a complete stop first and b) being
on the Cyclist's B's right hand side, Automobile A meets two definitions of
having right of way. Instead of proceeding forward Automobile A sits and
waits and cheerfully waves at Cyclist B inidicating they should go first.

Cyclist B slowing to a country lane intersection waits a few seconds before
completely downshifting for the car already stopped at the intersection to
start forward. Cyclist B seeing the Automobile A sit there with no turn
signal comes to a complete stop to see what Automobile A is doing.
Automobilist A and Cyclist B have a staring contest, looking at each other
while they respectively wonder "why doesn't he come through the
intersection, I'm being nice and waving him through" and "why doesn't he
just go, he's got the right of way" ? Cyclist B, having completely lost all
forward momentum, takes his foot off the ground, downshifts all the way down
to start pedalling away through the intersection, taking a longer period of
time than if Automobile A had driven through the intersection in the first
place.

Automobilist A concludes they are being nice to the cylists
Cyclist B is irrated with Automobilist A doesn't know how to drive even at a
stop

- SL