internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] mySQL learning curve

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <czei AT webperformanceinc.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] mySQL learning curve
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:07:13 -0400

On Monday, October 13, 2003, at 07:38 PM, Michael D. Thomas wrote:

2) I understood the "key point." I didn't /agree/ with it.

" If you can take your guitar and fetch it from its case, that's a
SELECT.
If you can tune your guitar, that's an UPDATE.
If you can put your guitar back in its case, that's an INSERT.
If you can dash your guitar against a speaker in Townshendesque
mock-rage, that's a DELETE.
If you can make a guitar, that's a CREATE. You sort of have to know what
you're doing, and how it will be stored/fetched/played and maybe even
how to make it impervious to Townshends."

I saw his post as something to encourage non-database users to take a stab at creating a database, which, like the comparisons of women to beer, is something best not overanalyzed. I thought the post was mildly funny, but most (well, all) of the replies weren't funny at all, and thus were immediately deleted.

Why don't we try comparing:

Device Driver Routines to Vegetables
UNIX Shell Commands to Sexual Positions
Networking cards to Tree Nut Varieties

On Poetry: People could like daffodils if they wanted to, but should not be allowed
to take up more than a page to say so. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC