internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] mySQL learning curve

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: David R.Matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] mySQL learning curve
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:28:54 -0400

This is precisely why I think the collaborative effort would be so beneficial. Most technology managers don't care who thinks what about so-and-so. They want a deadline. They want progress to be shown. And they want a final product that works. Not much room for one team member to doubt another's knowledge, let alone complaints about "philosophical disparity."

Technologies today are not, essentially, "easy" without a great deal of background information and perhaps a few years of trying, failing, and ultimately succeeding. As completely irrational as it may seem to you or me, many folks today *are* afraid of these acronyms and RFCs and whatnot. I think this atmosphere does well for highly-experienced consultants and developers. But that same atmosphere can be terrifying for less-experienced folks trying to "catch a break." This is why I thought it would be a golden opportunity for two folks with unassailably high-level tech knowledge to share with others and perhaps provide a step in the long climb up IT Mountain.

Sorry about the incorrect labeling -- I have updated my mental rolodex (FBASWSA). But in all seriousness, I think a two opinion article on current technologies and implementation would be a wonderful read. There would be more than adequate room to talk about learning and enforcing proper web standards, while breaking it down to Check List Technology Essentials for producing a functionally sound web site.

Certainly, the cumulative efforts of the INW community could fill volumes, but that which has been contributed directly to the group (via the website) is in serious need of updating. I'm blowing the dust off of that treasure trove right now...

http://ibiblio.org/internetworkers/column/s_browse.php3

While we are on the topic of "Authoring," if anyone is interested in developing and contributing content via the INW website, just send me an email and I will do what I can to help you. Our community is broad and diverse and we welcome contributions on just about anything (but for everyones sake, we will leave the cussing aside, okay?).

dave m.