internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] mySQL learning curve

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] mySQL learning curve
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:26:50 -0400

> > " If you can take your guitar and fetch it from its case, that's a
> > SELECT.
> > If you can tune your guitar, that's an UPDATE.
> > If you can put your guitar back in its case, that's an INSERT.
> > If you can dash your guitar against a speaker in Townshendesque
> > mock-rage, that's a DELETE.
> > If you can make a guitar, that's a CREATE. You sort of have to know
> > what
> > you're doing, and how it will be stored/fetched/played and maybe
even
> > how to make it impervious to Townshends."
>
> I saw his post as something to encourage non-database users to take a
> stab at creating a database, which, like the comparisons of women to
> beer, is something best not overanalyzed.

Accessibility and accuracy aren't mutually exclusive. I humbly submit a
revision of the original:

- If you can take your guitar and fetch it from the rack where you keep
all of your guitars, that's a SELECT.

- If you can tune your guitar, that's an UPDATE.

- If you get a new guitar and put it on the rack, that's an INSERT.

- If you can dash your guitar against a speaker in Townshendesque
mock-rage, that's a DELETE.

- If you need a new rack for a new type of instrument -- say, a violin
-- then that's CREATE TABLE. You sort of have to know what you're doing,
and how it will be stored/fetched/played and maybe even how to make it
impervious to Townshends.

Cheers!