internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] mySQL learning curve

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] mySQL learning curve
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:40:46 -0400

on Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 12:31:13PM -0400, David R.Matusiak wrote:
> Steve --
>
> I think many of us got the sarcasm, but we all know how hard it
> is to emote such things via email. ;)

*nod*

> Regardless, I see a fantastic opportunity arising out of this
> relatively young database discussion. Namely, an article for the
> InterNetWorkers website -- written from the two distinct perspectives
> that must work well together in order for any site (database-driven or
> not) to be a success. Basically, a Database Architect and a DHTML GUI
> expert taking the time to explain what each needs "on their end" to
> make sure a site is functional, reliable and secure.

Hm. Well, I'm not sure what more I'd have to offer than what I've already
posted; lots of technologies are easy, don't be afraid of them, though I'd
probably add that most complex-seeming technologies are only that way if
you make them that way or if they're explained poorly.

I can't really speak for Michael, but I suspect writing an article on
databases with someone he obviously believes doesn't know anything about
databases must not be high on his list, either.

As for the epithet "DHTML GUI expert", kindly refrain ;) That book is
out of print, and I hope not to be tagged thus if I can avoid it. That
was a long time ago. I'd prefer to be labeled a fire-breathing antispam
and Web standards advocate :)

I don't know if the INW site has a library of work written by members,
but a reasonably up to date list of what I've been up to is here in the
sidebar, and hopefully there will be a second edition of the "CSS:
Separating Content and Presentation" book forthcoming in January from
apress:

http://hesketh.com/about/team/sc.html

It'd be interesting to see the accumulated list of INW-authored stuff;
I think Burnett's list alone would probably require its own page :)

Steve

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier