internetworkers - Re: New Web Site (was RE: [internetworkers] <mySQL learning curve />)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Edward Wesolowski <edwes AT idisplay.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: New Web Site (was RE: [internetworkers] <mySQL learning curve />)
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 12:32:43 -0400

>The archive gets spidered, so no one should have any impression that anything posted to the list is private.
A positive one, but case in point.... About 2 years ago I posted a "For Sale," an old portable Toshiba machine, to the INW list. About two months ago someone in "Everett" WA found the posting, wanted the machine, etc....
Ed Wesolowski

At 09:42 AM 10/14/03 -0400, you wrote:
On 10/14/03 8:30 AM, "Michael D. Thomas" <mdthomas AT mindspring.com> wrote:

> * Permissions: The original author -- who ever does the post -- must
> agree that their content can be published (The other way to think about
> it is to consider that any content posted to the list somehow becomes
> the property of INW. I don't think we want to go there.) One of the
> trickier problems is where one author replies to another. Do you have to
> get permissions from both?

[snip]

> * The permission scheme is very, very important! There are two ways to
> think about permissions: opt-in and opt-out. I think that the author has
> to opt-in on a per post/article basis. Beyond that you can have
> convenience mechanisms -- "I'll just opt-in for all posts so I don't
> have to opt-in on a per article basis."

I thought all posts were archived on the site already? The archive gets
spidered, so no one should have any impression that anything posted to the
list is private.

David