internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Technical writing questions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Maria Winslow <maria.winslow AT windows-linux.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Tanner Lovelace <lovelace AT wayfarer.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Technical writing questions
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:48:44 -0400

On Tuesday 14 October 2003 12:23 am, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> As far as your suggested topic, aren't you working on a book of that
> exact subject? :-) Or rather, general migration from windows to linux?
> That actually sounds like it would make a great chapter (or two) in a
> book like that.
>
> Cheers,
> Tanner

Yes, and I really need another reviewer. The book is for technical managers,
so it's more business-level than actual tutorial. I would really appreciate
if you would be a reviewer. The process is that you read the manuscript at
certain points (first third, second third, complete), and answer questions
posed by the editors that can help shape the content. There is no editing,
just general impressions, etc. Your important contribution would be to make
sure that I didn't miss any projects that should be recommended, and to check
the technical accuracy.

It's not a paid job, but it would allow you to develop a relationship with a
publisher in case you want to do a book later. In fact, this publisher
(Manning Publications manning.com) is mainly known for Java books, and is now
getting into the open source realm. They need a bit of help with the
transition. Once they know that you are reliable, they will probably ask you
to review other books and book proposals. They also need acquisition editors
with your expertise, since they are so Java-heavy. That involves thinking of
titles and getting people to write them, following the process, etc.

Feel free to call me at 968-7802 day or 619-2520 anytime, and I can tell you
more about all this.

Maria

--
Maria Winslow
maria.winslow AT windows-linux.com

Open Source Migrations
www.windows-linux.com

Open Source Migrations conducts feasibility/ROI studies, performs open source
deployments, data and application conversions, and supports open source
alternatives for mid-size organizations.