internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Wanna tell someone to go "F..." themselves?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Wanna tell someone to go "F..." themselves?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 03:56:58 -0400 (EDT)

> fuck you and your mother then. I was just being fucking polite. It's
> not like fuck bothers me, I tell people to go fuck themselves all the
> time, I just feel that telling people to go fuck themselves is just a
> sign that i'm not educated enough to come up with a response, so I cop
> out and tell em to fuck off.
>
> That better?

And how does the use of any given word translate into lower education?
I've heard professors use all sorts of "foul" language and it doesn't make
me think any less of them. To use your example, it's not the choice of
word that conveys lack of education, it's the repetition. Any middle
school English student can tell you you're not supposed to use the same
word twice in a paragraph (required repetion excluded (a, an, the,
pronouns, etc.)).

Sometimes such words are the perfect choice to convey one's meaning. I
could cater to such people and tell them they're sanctimonious,
self-righteous know-it-alls, but that just doesn't convey the same depth
of emotion or meaning as calling them sanctimonious, self-righteous asses.
If I smash my thumb with a hammer by accident, I am far more likely to
exclaim "Fuck! that hurts" than "Golly! that hurts"; the former conveys a
greater emotional appeal.

And, besides, I was never referring to the use of the words as insults.
Of course that's obnoxious; an insult is an insult regardless of the word
choice. Whether I say "go fuck yourself" or "why, you're just as smart as
a rock" it's still an insult.

-Alan