internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Federal judge blocks do-not-call list

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: raustin3 AT nc.rr.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Federal judge blocks do-not-call list
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:37:36 -0400 (EDT)

.:> In 2000 direct marketing sales were 1.71 trillion dollars and accounted
.:> for almost 10% of the US Economy.
.:
.: Where did those figures come from? I find it difficult to
.:believe that the telemarketing scum is 10% of the GDP. What
.:in the world is included in that figure?

I'm betting that some (or a lot) of that figure is order-by-phone services
(Dell, Ticketmaster, etc) -- the places that always tell you about their
special offers when you call to place an order. There's always some
person (read: "sucker") who'd inevitably decide to try the special offer.

OTOH, much like the RIAA figures, these *are* statistics. And we know
exactly what percentage of statistics are pulled directly from some *ss's
hole.

--s

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)