internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Federal judge blocks do-not-call list

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Roger Austin <raustin3 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Federal judge blocks do-not-call list
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:25:23 -0400

Shea Tisdale wrote:
I hate telemarketers as much as anyone, but...

The sad part is that there are apologists for this
"industry" who think harassment of the public is a
viable business. There shouldn't be a need for a
do-not-call list since the default for all lists
should be opt-in.
The bastards at the phone companies actually figure that
I should pay MORE to opt-out of problems that they caused
by selling the equipment and tools to the telemarketers.
There is no difference between a heavy breather making
harassing calls to single women and this "industry" making
unwanted calls except that they have the cash to buy off
those in power.

In 2000 direct marketing sales were 1.71 trillion dollars and accounted
for almost 10% of the US Economy.

Where did those figures come from? I find it difficult to
believe that the telemarketing scum is 10% of the GDP. What
in the world is included in that figure?