internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Federal judge blocks do-not-call list

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Heather Hesketh <heather AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Federal judge blocks do-not-call list
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:20:24 -0400

At 02:12 PM 9/24/2003 -0400, Alan MacHett wrote:

>what gets me, though, is that this judge is, in essence, saying that the
>telemarketers' right to free speech overrides my right to choose not to
>listen to them. dumbass.

Not to mention your right not to have them wake you up. I'd just turn my ringer off, but you never know when someone might try to call and have a legitimate reason to wake you up. With a mother who's had stroke, a father who just had stints put in, sisters getting engaged, friends having babies, and the like, my choices seem to be: 1) have the telemarketers wake me up or otherwise interrupt my life and precious free time on a regular basis; or 2) not know when something life changing is happening. I'm opting for 1, but wish there was a third, more palatable, choice.

I shudder to think what it's like for people who work 11-7 shifts.

Telemarketing may generate money, but not from people like me. In fact, if someone calls me at home and I didn't ask for it, I make a mental note not to do business with them.

Heather

---
Heather A. Hesketh http://www.hesketh.com
CEO vox: 919.834.2552 x12