internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] OK to replace lost CD's with copied ones?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] OK to replace lost CD's with copied ones?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 15:54:18 -0400 (EDT)

i am not a lawyer. but i do wish i had this question to ask our panel last
night.

i think you might consider your exposure (probably pretty low). that said,
you might say that if you lost say your favorite bottle of Islay Scotch
that you wouldn't be able to go get a swig or two from friends by just
bringing an empty shot glass by (the riaa answer). on the other hand i'm
listening to my cd collection via itunes at the moment (my backups?). of
course some of them were bought at mp3.com which allowed me to download
the music before the actual CD showed up in my mailbox. if i lost the CD
would I be required to delete the itunes copy?

what do i want on CD? all the vinyl that i've paid for and kept clean for
years!

Paul Jones
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation." Alasdair Gray
http://www.ibiblio.org/pjones/
pjones AT ibiblio.org voice: (919) 962-7600 fax: (919) 962-8071