internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] ethical hacking

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] ethical hacking
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:15:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Gina Norman wrote:

> > And the best part is, thanks to the fact that the emails are archived
> > on the web site, they'll be around for years to come for your future
> > employer's convenience :-)
>
> I was just thinking about that recently ... I know I Google potential
> employees -- I wonder how common the practice is elsewhere?

The last two contracts I interviewed for did - one agency rep mentioned
he'd been reading my website (not mentioned on my resume he had) just
before he called me for a phone screen interview, and the other one asked
me if I was still DJing at WXDU-FM (again, not mentioned on my resume, and
sort of buried in a subsection of my website).

I also have a developer friend who, if he sees someone claiming "seven
years of perl" experience in a resume he receives, searches for them
looking to see if, for example, they were asking newcomer-level questions
three years ago on CPAN. If so, they don't make it *to* a phone screen.

So offhand, I'd say it's a pretty common practice, at least currently
and in the IT industry.

best,
Steve Burnett