internetworkers - [internetworkers] Verisign screwing with DNS

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Verisign screwing with DNS
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:07:25 -0400

I tried this today and almost any name you can makeup is resolving
now...eek.

This is excerpted from Trilug...

An item of general interest.

I'm told that Verisign has inserted a wildcard DNS record into the .com
and .net TLDs, with the effect that a query on an unregistered domain
name now resolves to a specific IP address. This hasn't manifested
itself here yet, but I guess it will over the next day or so.

One of the side-effects is that any attempt to block email by checking
that the sender's domain exists, will now fail. Another side-effect
concerns mis-configured mail servers or DNS entries: if you are
configuring a mail relay and/or put a typo in the MX record, you may get
unexpected results since the IP address indicated by Verisign happens to
be running an SMTP server.

I'll refrain from repeating the outraged comments on various discussion
groups. It will be interesting to see how this situation evolves.

Regards,