internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Iraq costs are skyrocketing

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Iraq costs are skyrocketing
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:40:00 -0400

on Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 03:59:16PM -0400, Joey Carr wrote:
> First of all, no doubt the Ba'athists are uniformly horrible people, ought
> to be executed to the last, but even if that were fact it would not excuse
> an unjust war.

I'm not arguing about justice; I don't claim to know whether it was
just or not. I was simply disputing the facts as presented.

> I wanted to admonish you to check you figures about how many Iraqi
> casualties occured... certainly there were more than a couple thousand,
> they were dying three hundred to an "engagement".

Soldiers? Presumably, they fought to preserve the uniformly horrible
party you mention above. Most of the stories I heard about had the rest
of the army basically disappearing back to their homes once released
from any sort of control.

> But, perhaps not suprizingly, there's almost no reliable information
> available on the subject.
>
> Here's the most reputable source I could find quickly:
>
> http://abcnews.go.com/sections/nightline/World/iraq030528_casualties.html
>
> This source lists:
> 620 civilian deaths in Baghdad, 256 in Najaf, 425 in Karbala and as many
> as 1,100 in Nasiriyah

So, 620+256+425+1100 = 2401, or roughly speaking, "a couple of thousand".
Which is what I said.

But that's assuming that "people out of uniform who died" is equivalent
to "civilians". As far as I can recall, one of the first things many
soldiers outside of the area around Bagdahd and Tirik did was strip off
their uniforms. But I could be ill-informed - lord knows I wasn't there.

There's this site:

http://www.iraqbodycount.net/editorial_june1203.htm

...which seems to claim around five thousand or more, though the home
page says between six and eight. They count looters and such, too, though.

I dunno - has anyone compared these numbers to the numbers of skulls
they've pulled out of those mass graves in Kurdish areas or the South?

Steve

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier