internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Iraq costs are skyrocketing

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Kurt Schlatzer" <kurt AT kurtschlatzer.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Iraq costs are skyrocketing
  • Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:39:27 -0400

> okay, now can anyone give a well-reasoned justification for keeping
> Dubya Bush in office? really, please do elucidate because i am having
> a very difficult time finding any reason(s) to keep him around.
>
> /drm

Because it really doesn't matter who is in the Whitehouse. There are forces
far greater than the charade of Democrat vs. Republican that guide our
government and our relationship with the rest of the world. The president
can't control the economy or the fundamentalist idiots throughout the world
any more than you and I could. Especially since he inherited a steaming pile
of dung from the Clinton administration. If anyone is to blame for our
economic condition, it's us. We're credit-happy. We continuously live beyond
our means. We consume more than we create. We demand higher salaries than
we're worth. Our industries continue to produce expensively manufactured and
poorly designed crap that nobody wants. We pay our farmers to grow food
nobody wants. I could go on and on.

As for the money the government spends to clean up the mess in the Middle
East and elsewhere, most of it ends up back in OUR economy. If we packed up
and left from Iraq, Korea, Afganistan and all of our other interests, there
wouldn't be a Democrat, Republican or anyone else capable of dealing with
the loss to the economy and the millions of unemployed workers that would
hit the streets as a result. If we had done nothing after 9/11, our economy
would be worse off than it is now.

And, if it was about oil, I'm fine with that. I like to drive. And when I'm
driving my imported car through this fine American landscape burning "cheap"
gas, I won't have to look at oil wells, just billboards selling our
expensively manufactured and poorly designed crap that nobody wants ;-)

Kurt